As promised, I’m finally writing a post about this pregnancy and how it has differed from my first pregnancy! I have had such a good pregnancy that it I wasn’t sure if I would have much to say about it; nevertheless, I want to keep all of you updated on this babe’s progress. I am thankful that it is going so well, as I tend to be such a wimp about things when I feel badly.
This week I will officially be 23 weeks along. I am excited to be into the second half of this pregnancy already! The first half has gone by so quickly!
It seems like I’ve been much more low-key about this pregnancy – so much so that I completely forgot to go to my latest check-up! Oh dear! I suppose it’s because I’m very focused on little B this time around.
My life is drastically different during this pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my first, I was working full-time as a registered nurse; so I did three twelve-hour shifts every week. I was also finishing my bachelor’s degree online. Those were long days, and I was constantly busy.
This pregnancy, I am no longer working or in school. I am home with Little B and more focused on maintaining things around the house. I am quite confident that these two distinctive lifestyles have caused significant differences between these pregnancies. Of course, some of the variations I am experiencing could also be due to gender differences. ♥
While the info below may be a bit dry, it basically sums up the two pregnancies. I can’t wait to meet this little guy!
Some blog posts may include affiliate links to products that I love and trust. I may earn a small commission off of these links, but this does not affect the cost for you. (Read more here.)
Little B’s Pregnancy
- Morning Sickness – I felt very nauseous* for the first several weeks (essentially the entire first trimester). Despite the name, my nausea was present regardless of the time of day.
- Energy Levels – I don’t remember very well, but I know that when I was feeling yucky, all I wanted to do was sleep it off. This was mostly a first trimester problem.
- Cravings – I always wanted pizza. But that was nothing new to pregnancy!
- Aversions – In the first trimester, I avoided coffee and chocolate! (What was wrong with me?) I started to slowly reincorporate them in the second trimester and was mostly back to normal in the third. I don’t feel like I’ve since been able to enjoy chocolate like I used to though. Very sad…
- Carrying Baby – I carried little B very high in my tummy.
- Hormones – I certainly had the occasional pregnant woman tantrums with the water-works and all… my poor hubby.
- Hair/Nail Growth – My hair and nails grew so much during this pregnancy! I couldn’t believe it! I already had thick hair and I barely lost a strand the entire pregnancy. I also couldn’t believe how fast my nails would grow (which was actually quite annoying when it became difficult to lean over to give myself a pedicure! Ha!)
- Skin – I had standard hormonal acne.
- Misc – At some point in the pregnancy, I developed carpal tunnel* in both hands. It was a numbness and tingling in my hands that flared up at night and when I would use a computer. It was quite uncomfortable.
All in all though, this was a great pregnancy!
Little Man’s Pregnancy
- Morning Sickness – This time around, I only had nausea* for a handful of weeks – sometimes not even every day. It was much more manageable.
- Energy Levels – During the first trimester, I was exhausted. I took naps with Little B as much as I could, sometimes as many as two to three naps in a day. So far, my energy has returned for the second trimester.
- Cravings – None. I know… that’s really boring.
- Aversions – Again, I found coffee and chocolate offensive. I’m just starting to get back into them. Caffeine is hitting me hard since I took that three month break from it; so, it is easy to stay within the approved one cup recommendation.
- Carrying Baby – Perhaps it is too early to tell, but it seems that I am carrying this baby lower than Little B. Many times when I am at the counter washing dishes, I feel like I’m bumping the little guy against the sink. I don’t remember feeling that way with my first.
- Hormones – So far, I feel like I have only had a handful of crazy moments. My husband and close friends would be the better ones to ask about this though!
- Hair/Nail Growth – This time around, I am losing a ton of hair! So bizarre. I haven’t noticed changes in my nail growth.
- Skin – I definitely have had hormonal acne. I recently switched to a much more basic and simple skin care regimen to see if that will help.
- Misc – So far I don’t have any complaints of the carpal tunnel. I am really hoping that it does not come back.
So far, this has been a great pregnancy again! Can’t wait to meet this little guy though! (17 more weeks to go!)
*I also want to share a few things that helped my morning sickness and carpal tunnel – just in case anyone else has been navigating those issues. ↓
During my bouts with morning sickness, I used special wrist bands called Sea-bands. They claim to work by compressing a pressure point in the wrist. I don’t know if they truly work or if I experienced a placebo effect, but either way they certainly seemed to take the edge off of my nausea. I wore both at the same time during most of my waking hours in the first trimester. These certainly helped me, as well as, the occasional whiff of peppermint oil.
When I was pregnant with Little B, I experienced carpal tunnel during the latter half of my pregnancy. I was able to purchase wrist braces similar to these at a local pharmacy that were specific for sleeping with carpal tunnel. These braces helped a lot. I still have them should I need them towards the end of this pregnancy.
Sorry if this post isn’t very exciting… When this little guy makes his appearance, I’ll be able to tell you guys more fun things like his cute antics and personality!
Can any of you relate to my experiences, or do you have any of your own stories to share about pregnancy?
Want to join the Heart Home and Hope tribe?
(You know you do!) You’ll get complete access to my Free Resource Library, a monthly newsletter – “Heart Home and Hope Happenings,” and other exciting insider content! Just sign up here and then check your inbox for your password!
Thanks for joining me!