Can you even believe it?! The month of July is quickly wrapping up and kids are going back to school SOON. However, for some of us, the fall still seems VERY far away (Hello, fellow Floridians!) Can you relate?
Because we have at least another 2 months of 90 degree weather, I wanted to share with you some of our favorite summer activities. These ideas keep my kids and me sane and happy on the days when the heat is stifling and the house feels claustrophobic.
1. Splash Pad – Check your local park listings and look for a splash pad near you. I was shocked to find a free one just 10 minutes from my house! I appreciate the fact that I don’t have to worry about some of the safety concerns found at public pools. (Also, in my opinion, it’s completely appropriate to get wet with your toddler at a splash pad!)
2. Library Story-Time – Toddler-time at a local library is always a highlight of the week for us! It is a great way to get out of the house and around other children. This is also a wonderful place to meet other moms and toddlers.
3. Mall Playground – Not all malls are created equal, but some shopping centers have great indoor playgrounds for the kids to play in. I’ve even seen malls with carousels for the kids to ride! Not to mention, the food court should keep everyone occupied for an additional 30 minutes! Ha!
4. Beach – If you can’t beat the heat, take advantage of it! We live near the beach, yet I rarely visit it. How bad is that?! Sure, it’s really hot at the beach, but so many great memories can be made by playing in the surf or building sand castles! After all, this is what summers are made of!
5. Sprinkler Time – When all else fails, turn on the sprinklers, and let the kids run wild in the water! There’s nothing they’d rather do… I promise!
6. Public Transportation – Our downtown has a fun trolly route. It is fun to hop on and see the sights of the city from a different perspective every once and a while!
7. Children’s Museum – Some museums are solely dedicated to children. Their exhibits are both educational and interactive. This is one of my go-to activities because my toddler enjoys it very much, and it is also a great place for her to get out any extra energy!
8. Visit A Pet Shop – Yes, I know about the controversy surrounding pet shops, but honestly, we just go there to look at the puppies (not to buy…) My daughter is obsessed with dogs; so she is absolutely beside herself when she is in a room full of them! (You could also look into visiting the local pound!)
9. Dollar Movies – Every summer, the local movie theaters create a lineup of old movies for the kids. The movies are normally free or just a few dollars and can be a fun diversion during the day.
10. Aquarium – Our aquarium is one of my favorite places to visit during the summer. The entire facility is air-conditioned, and my toddler LOVES it! (We are also infatuated with Finding Dory; so seeing the Blue Tang exhibit is always an added bonus!) My family decided to purchase an annual pass to our aquarium, and I feel that it was a great investment for us!
These are a few of our favorite summer activities when it is JUST. TOO. HOT. Can you add any ideas you might have into the comments below? I’d love for this list to grow with your favorite activities!
And mama? Before you go, let me put your mind at ease. These activities are FUN, but in order to be fully transparent, I must tell you that our summer also includes a fair amount of Netflix. Because there’s always GRACE. And sometimes this mama just needs a break. So take a deep breath and do YOU! You are totally rocking summer break!
Grace and peace!
– Alex ✌️
(PS – this is a NEW sign up form, even if you already get email updates from this blog, be sure to add yourself to this list for access to a monthly newsletter, freebies, and exciting resources!)